Survived, But Stickier

Well, the girls and I survived the big weekend in the woods! We did have someone else set up our tent for us, but we were really roughing it this year! After having lunch at the Trempealeau Hotel (sampling the local cuisine), we headed into the woods to our campsite. It was on a quiet little bend in the road and due to a leaf suspended in the drive way by a spider web, I'd like to call it Lone Leaf Campsite.

We played a little cards (a tradition), which included trying to figure out the rules of the game we play every year. Once figured out, we were going to write the rules down in our travel journal, but I'm afraid that didn't happen this year. We did manage to journal about other interesting happenstance and read our journal entries from last year (the inaugural year of the journal). I believe that is going to become greater fun with each passing year. We enjoyed hot dogs over the fire with s'mores for dessert (one rogue marshmallow attached itself to my shoe to pick up leaves around the campfire).

This year we had a couple older ladies join us to play guitar and host a sing-a-long. We even got them a little liquored up with us! One little drinker may have had too much to drink. It all came back out before she turned in for the night around 9pm. The other two campers refused to sleep in the same tent as the puker, so one hauled a cot out to the fire and the other attempted to sleep in the back seat of her car. I braved the tent to curl up in my sleeping bag on an air mattress and enjoyed a good night sleep.

All except the rude awakening in the middle of the night when I thought my cot-sleeping friend was enjoying a snack of chips. As I heard the loud crinkle, crinkle, crinkle sound of the chip bag I thought to myself that there wasn't even that many chips left in the bag. Then the plastic cookie container came out. That was even louder! I was thinking "JUST GET THE COOKIES OUT ALREADY!"

It was at that moment that I heard our midnight snackers scamper off behind the tent and into the woods. Surprisingly enough, raccoons had eaten all our remaining food they could get to...and all within five feet of our cot-sleeping friend. Point being, I think we learned a few valuable lessons if in fact next year proves to also be a "recession girlie weekend."

Although short-lived, we did have a great time. Girlie weekend is all about catching up with good friends, kicking back, and talking girlie. Mission accomplished. The only thing missing was our new mommy friend. As we pulled out of our campsite, we waved good-bye to the lone leaf. Two days later as I was unpacking my bag, it brought a smile to my face to find two marshmallows hiding out in my shoe as if refugees from Lone Leaf Campsite.

Comments

Popular Posts