Halloween Tale

Sometimes I feel like Inspector Clouseau. As I wield my hefty vacuum from room to room and around furniture, the thing has a tendency to tip over. Trying to pull it around by its hose, I have found myself swinging that floor wand about in the air.

y dog runs in fear from room to room every time I haul the damn thing out. I’m sure he thinks it is just my way of harassing him. Shortly after he chooses a nice comfy spot on my bedroom carpet, right in the doorway, I decide that is indeed the room I would like to be in. He scampers past me and finds a nearby spot on the hallway rug only to find two minutes later that is where I would like to be now. Finally he hops up to one of his hiding spots on either of the couches or my bed. There he is safe from my relentless harassment; however he still keeps a keen eye on me in case I decide I need to vacuum the bed next.

This was the amusing tale running through my head as I vacuumed my house yesterday…three days after its scheduled appointment time. You see, I’ve decided that I need to run the perfect household, so I’ve devised a system! I’ve used my trusty computer to schedule out all of my household tasks from weekly occurrences like doing laundry and cleaning the bathroom to once-a-year tasks like changing the oil in my lawn mower and polishing my silver. That reminds me, I still need to get that oven cleaned before Thanksgiving.

So, if you’ve ever noticed, a system only works when you adhere to it! Last Friday was Halloween and I was much too busy sewing my nurse costume at the last minute to be bothered with vacuuming my house. And when I had completed my sewing at the early hour of five o’clock, I decided I had time to run to the party store to look for props (to no avail, by the way). Then the following day comes when I’m tired and slightly hung over from my extravagance the previous night. I sleep in, lounge around the house reading, and watch a movie.

I managed to work in three delicious meals for which I pat myself on the back. I’ve been attempting to pare down recipes into single servings. As sad as the realization is that I need single serving meals, it gives me great joy to make delicious meals just for me with no leftovers and no waste. Oddly enough this simple task of preparing my own delicious and savory meals that I am ready and willing to eat makes me feel like a grown up.

In the mean time, I’ll keep playing house. I’ll tell myself that I really should clean the bathroom because it is on my schedule, but in reality, I’m no better at running the perfect household than Clouseau would be.

Comments

Popular Posts