In A Cave Many Miles To The South

I've been working with the brand new Muse Theatre for their inaugural performance of Bat Boy: The Musical. Standing at the front desk greeting patrons, I can't help but feel the excitement and the sense that this is the beginning of something. I stayed to watch the show for the very first time last Saturday and have to admit I was entertained. Early on in the planning for the show, I had read a portion of the play and deemed it was not for me.

Although, I don't regret not being in the show, I am happily surprised to have found the play so humorous and touching. The actors were all quite impressive. Their voices resonated from the rafters and sucked me in to their story of a boy born with fangs in his mouth, stripped of his dignity, beat like a gong, and kicked repeatedly. It is truly a universal story of love and acceptance.

The newly renovated church plays a character in this tale as well. The large circular window overhead serves as the moon and the shadows cast on the theatre walls from the windows lend just the right amount of atmosphere for a story that begins deep in a cave. The only thing missing would have been a rogue bat flying down from the bell tower.

You can get more information on The Muse Theatre and Bat Boy: The Musical at www.musetheatre.com. And if you’re so inclined, come to visit me at the front desk for this final weekend of performances. I promise you’ll be entertained as well.

Comments

Popular Posts