Full-Fledged Fall

I explored my community last weekend by heading to the Apple Barn in Chatham. Along the way I drove a little of the historic Route 66. However, I think that was only because I missed my turn.
Once finding my way to the barn, I was lucky to find a parking spot. The gravel lot was full and there were people and kids everywhere. Old crates overflowed with little pumpkins and gourds. As I made my way around the crowds and carts full of purchases, I had no idea what sight was waiting for me. As I stepped through the greenhouse I stumbled upon the biggest pumpkins I have ever seen. And there were rows and rows of them! The Apple Barn put last year's pumpkin patch field trip to shame. If only my niece could have seen it.
After perusing the goods, I settled on five little funky colored pumpkins, a bunch of Indian corn, and an apple pie bar for the way home. It was a pleasant fall outing.
I've been completely immersed in fall since then. I made pumpkin soup, stuffed acorn squash, spaghetti squash, and an apple cider brined pork chop...which reminds me it is almost time for the sauerkraut supper. I bet they don't have those here. I also found indoor homes for my tropical palms to winter.
I can't wait for the rest of what fall has in store for me in Springfield; I just hope it is not snow. H.O.P.E. Hope.

Comments

Popular Posts