Pathetic Peanut

My poor baby. He is feeling better now that he is all drugged up. He is still crying occasionally, but it's not so bad. He is, however, also trying to stick his head through the gate keeping him in the bathroom.

I feel so bad locking him up. I was never much for kennel training. The only time Peanut was restricted was during the seizure years for his own safety and cleaning purposes. But the vet told me we have to restrict his movement.

It is possible he has a spine disease that will end up putting pressure on the spine and causing paralysis. I have to pinch his toes every day to make sure he is still feeling pain. He is going to be taking three different drugs to ease the pain and relax his muscles. Best case scenario is pretty much that he just slept on his neck funny and it is out of alignment.

They've given me a two-four week recovery window where Peanut will be residing in the bathroom... doped up. My biggest concern right now is getting him in and outside. I have been instructed to carry him or build a ramp...no stairs. If anyone out there knows of a ramp store, please let me know!

Oh, and of course I'll be on pins and needles for the next month watching to make sure Peanut isn't showing signs of paralysis. Because, short of surgery, that will be the end of the line for my main man.

I'm trying to overlook the ironic circle of life that would be considering it took him losing the use of his legs in order for the vet to finally find a drug to stop the seizures when he was just a wee pup. I will say it was a lot easier carrying him outside and holding him up when he was only about 15 pounds. His current weigh-in at 80 makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Comments

Popular Posts