Fruits of the Harvest

I really need a garden. I get so excited to harvest from my backyard and prepare meals from that harvest. I want more!

On top of making that bonus pesto last night (which I enjoyed by the spoonful right out of the blender), I made myself a tasty lunch using herbs from my patio container garden.

I cut a few gigantic leaves of mint, rolled them up, and cut them over a bed of lettuce (from my sister's garden), and then added a few apple slices to the top. I tossed the apple slices in a touch of lemon juice first to keep them from browning until lunch today.  Then I mixed together a dressing of oil, honey, and poppy seeds. I'm really addicted to this now. Thanks to my sis for getting that started!

While preparing dinner last night, I also was preparing a soup. Before vacation I stashed away two bags of frozen veggies (about a cup of veggie pulp plus cabbage, celery, and tomatoes). I pulled those out of the freezer and tossed them in my stock pot. I added a can of organic, no salt added diced tomatoes, three carrots, water and low sodium chicken bouillon. And I think the real delicious factor in this veggie soup, which has become a favorite for me, is all the parsley (fresh from my backyard), a little oregano, salt, pepper, and cumin. Oh how cumin makes everything savory.

I don't think I'll use veggie pulp again. I had this vision that it would just blend into the broth and thicken it. That did not happen. As a matter of fact, I kind of choke on it. Don't ask. I can be pretty sensitive. The soup is still delicious with it, but I like it without.

With a test cup of soup last night, three servings already in the freezer, and lunch today, it is the soup that keeps on giving. I love enjoying the fruits of my harvest.

Comments

Popular Posts