Apple Cider Brine Pork Chop

I know this has graced the Lonely Girl Recipes in the past, but it's worth posting again here. I'm so excited to get these juicy, tasty little pork chops in the crock pot tomorrow!

I just cooked up the brine and the pork chops are already soaking up the salty goodness. Tomorrow I'll cut up potatoes, carrots, and celery to line the bottom of the crock. Then the pork chops, and the best part.... sauer kraut on top! I usually pour unfiltered apple cider into the bottom to add extra flavor and juiciness.

Did I mention, I can hardly wait? Without further adieu...

Combine in sauce pan...

1/2C cold water
1/4C kosher salt
1/4C packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/4 tsp whole cloves

Bring to a boil, stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in...

1C unfiltered apple cider
1/2C ice cubes

Cool completely. Pour over pork chop (I'm using two thin ones this time) in a resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight or up to 12 hours. Turn bag occasionally.

When ready to cook, drain brine. Add pork chops to crock pot and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Pork chops should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°. I have a small 1 quart crock pot with only on/off setting and I would cook this 3-4 hours.

I can hardly wait!

Comments

  1. This is a FABULOUS recipe! I reserved about a quarter of the brine and after carmelizing some onions and apples I poured the reserved brine into the onions and added about a cup of cider. I reduced by half and thickened to make a gravy. After Browning the chops on each side I placed them in a 9x13 pan on top of the gravy and baked covered for 15-20 minutes as I don't like my crock pot. Served with cornbread stuffing and spaetzle!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts