Comedy of Carrots

A rainy day is the perfect day to stock the freezer with soup! I've had carrots patiently waiting in my veggie bin for this very opportunity.
I began by peeling and chopping two pounds of carrots. The first time I made this soup, two pounds felt like way too many, so I halved the whole recipe. After licking my bowl clean and wanting more, I decided a full recipe with a serving or two left over for the freezer would be just right.
This recipe was adapted from one in The Ultra Metabolism Cookbook-my go-to cookbook. It is pretty much the same except I don't do onions and I use dried ginger. You seriously have to try the deliciousness. I might even be willing to share some of my Thai Kitchen Chili Paste if you ask nicely. I'll never use a whole jar at this rate!
Carrot Ginger Soup
2 Tbsp light sesame oil
2 medium cloves garlic, pressed
2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced
4C Progresso reduced sodium chicken broth (it's gluten free-a lot of them aren't!)
3/4C unsweetened coconut milk
2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp Thai Kitchen Red Chili Paste
Cilantro
1) Heat oil in stock pot over medium high heat cook garlic for about a minute.
2) Add carrots and cook an additional 2 minutes.
3) Add broth, coconut milk, ginger, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes our until carrots are tender.*
4) Remove from heat and cool slightly.
5) Puree the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Return to pot.
6) Stir in lime juice and chili paste and warm over low heat.**
7) Ladel into a bowl and garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro.
*This is experience talking for my loyal followers. The recipe does not actually call for reducing the heat. I boiled most of my liquids away while meditating on the porch. More on this later. You're welcome.
**Because I boiled away a lot of liquids, I added more broth and milk to the pot. So I really had a need to heat the soup back up. I stirred and watched and stirred and watched. Then I walked away thinking when I came back it would be bubbling. Well, when I came back it had bubbled and splattered all over the stove, cupboards, and walls. As I was wiping everything down, I knocked a picture frame into the soup pot. It has never been cleaner. I'm going to accept that it just gives the soup more character. PS...use a lid when "simmering" soup.

Comments

Popular Posts