Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram

Sunday, June 16, 2013

From Lampspiration To Lamps!


I had this idea to make lamps from vintage milk glass pieces. I lucked out when I found this interesting centerpiece. Basically it came pre-drilled for wiring! I just needed to drill out a hole in the back for the cord to come out.

I was really nervous to tackle drilling glass. You need a special drill bit (diamond core drill bit) and I started out with a glass and tile drill bit. Do yourself a favor and buy the right tool for the job. Once I had it, the glass drilling was no biggy. Practically a piece of cake.

Once I had a cord hole drilled and knew I hadn't destroyed the piece, I painted the brass with a decorative finish. It's a little hard to tell in the pictures, but the close up gives you an idea. I'm just really happy with the outcome.

In the process of this inaugural lamp project, my dad dug this old Pepsi bottle out of God-knows-where in the basement. Apparently someone had given it to him many moons ago to make a lamp out of it. And he waited all this time until I decided I was a lamp maker.

Being a professional glass driller outer, I made the cord hole about a week ago when I had my fancy diamond drill bit out to drill drainage holes in a couple of enamelware pots. I stuck the bottle in a drawer knowing I had a spare lamp kit and could finish the job later. 

Since then I picked up a shade and stored it in my closet thinking I would finish the lamp for father's day. So today when my folks went out for the evening, I unearthed the bottle, lamp kit, and shade and went to town on the assembly. I didn't even need to look up how to tie the underwriter's knot this time (I had A LOT of practice with that on the milk glass lamp--long story).

I had the whole thing together in no time and realized the lamp shade was too small. A quick trip to the hardware store provided a soda colored shade that was a better fit. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

A few weeks ago with no lamp making experience I said to a friend that I was a lamp making professional and could make a lamp out of anything. I'm beginning to believe it!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Reupholstery - The Practice

Knowing that I was anxious to start practicing my reupholstery skills, my friend Blondy handed over her chair. It had seen better days and she was prepared to toss it out with the trash before I opened my big mouth. So there you go...pressure was off.

As a matter of fact, I worked through a lot of interesting issues and kept thinking, "Well, it's better than it was!"

Let's start with the chair back. In a previous reupholstery attempt, parts of the inner workings had been tossed and the fabric pieces just weren't working or attached to the chair correctly. I figured out how to put it back together, padded the backside, and attached webbing to support the back cushion. Topped off with a few layers of cotton batting over the existing cushion and the back was ready to bring the tufted look back to life. I just love these buttons!

I was pleasantly surprised to find the original fabric under the reupholstery on the seat. And there was cording! I took everything apart to use as a template for the new fabric and reused the cording with bias tape made from the new fabric. I learned a lot during this process. Can't wait to try it again! I think it turned out better than it was before.

Another detail I just adore is the black lacy trim around the back padding. I think it makes the chair perfect for the boudoir! And upon delivery, we discovered that I chose fabric that matches the bench in her bedroom, so it is really absolutely perfect. I even offered to trim out her bench to match the chair. And there may still be a boudoir pillow in Blondy's future!

Thanks so much for the practice! I hope you enjoy the chair for years to come!



Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Completed Laundry Project

I just received the wall mounted hanger and retractable laundry line last week. Yay for laundry room function!

Since my last post I hung the hook on the back left wall for the lint brush. Then I painted the self edging white and tacked blue grosgrain ribbon on to it. I took a curtain panel and turned it into two curtains to cover the shelving altogether. Let me just say that without the option of making the contents look pretty, I really like that we can just close the curtain.

I do what I can. I'll just look at this as an improvement to the value of the house for future owners. Perhaps some day I'll have my very own laundry closet to beautify.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...