Knowing that I was anxious to start practicing my reupholstery skills, my friend Blondy handed over her chair. It had seen better days and she was prepared to toss it out with the trash before I opened my big mouth. So there you go...pressure was off.
As a matter of fact, I worked through a lot of interesting issues and kept thinking, "Well, it's better than it was!"
Let's start with the chair back. In a previous reupholstery attempt, parts of the inner workings had been tossed and the fabric pieces just weren't working or attached to the chair correctly. I figured out how to put it back together, padded the backside, and attached webbing to support the back cushion. Topped off with a few layers of cotton batting over the existing cushion and the back was ready to bring the tufted look back to life. I just love these buttons!
I was pleasantly surprised to find the original fabric under the reupholstery on the seat. And there was cording! I took everything apart to use as a template for the new fabric and reused the cording with bias tape made from the new fabric. I learned a lot during this process. Can't wait to try it again! I think it turned out better than it was before.
Another detail I just adore is the black lacy trim around the back padding. I think it makes the chair perfect for the boudoir! And upon delivery, we discovered that I chose fabric that matches the bench in her bedroom, so it is really absolutely perfect. I even offered to trim out her bench to match the chair. And there may still be a boudoir pillow in Blondy's future!
Thanks so much for the practice! I hope you enjoy the chair for years to come!