Happy Birthday!

Shortly before my niece's birthday in August I stumbled upon a desk at the local thrift store. I thought it would be a great gift and with the permission of her mother, I snatched it up right away. Lucky me! The sales gentleman told me it had only been on the floor for 45 minutes.

Fast forward practically a month and it is finally finished! I delivered the completed desk earlier today. I hope the little munchkin will enjoy it for several years. 

This was a laminate, so I began with a TSP wash to rough up the surfaces without sanding. I rolled a Kilz primer on the desk and hutch and sprayed the chair.

The color I chose was Navajo White spray paint and a light blue for the trim (I was able to buy a sample for a couple dollars, which was more than enough). You can see I also minimized the amount of accents.

The handles received a makeover with satin espresso spray paint. I applied three coats of poly acrylic to the top of the desk to help protect it from wear. And I finished the chair with a whimsical blue fabric for a girly girl.

And please take a moment to appreciate the chair finials. This chair only came with one and those little buggers aren't easy to come by! I had to travel to the middle of nowhere to find them, which makes for a great story you would never believe if I told you!

Comments

Popular Posts