Isn't That Lucky?

I officially began my birthday celebration last Tuesday as I packed my bags and shipped Peanut off to the folks in preparation for a mini-vacation. I really had wanted to go to Las Vegas for my thirtieth birthday since I've always wanted to go and never have. I got my big paycheck from my cashed out 401k and looked into a trip west. My travel companion, we'll call him Rich, had work conflicts with the cheapest air fare departure times, so the planning stalled. When we both realized we had already set our hearts on getting away for a few days, we chose door # 2: a mini-vacation to Door County.

Crap, if I had known how long the drive was, I may have come to my senses. Once we arrived at Gordon Lodge on the North Bay, I was so happy to have made the trip. The lobby was decorated in '60s stylings with a big built-in bench surrounding a fireplace and old operator cables behind the desk to connect calls to the rooms. The rooms themselves were decorated with retro furniture (some of which I've had my eye on in the CB2 catalog). The bathrooms looked original with pink tiles, pink fixtures, and a small pink laminate counter. It was everything I dreamed it would be.

Rich and I headed out onto the circle drive on Wednesday morning. We stopped at little stores and antique shops and even made it to the end of the sticky out thing to look out at Washington Island (we think). On the way down the other side, we practically ran right into the Shipwrecked Brewery and had to stop for a bite to eat.

After a bite and a sip and another sip and then another, we made our way back towards Gordon Lodge. We got side tracked at a bar that had a train track around the bar and had our drinks delivered to us on the train! After a few more stops in Bailey's Harbor and ushering in my birthday at midnight, we called it a night. I slept well on this birthday eve. Back in the car on the way home, it felt like it had been such a long time since we had made the trek out. I think that is the sign of a good, relaxing vacation. I really did get away...no worries, just fun.

The trip was followed with my traditional birthday dinner at The Freighthouse on my birthday and I had a birthday party the day after at a local tavern. I hired a karaoke buddy to keep us entertained and tapped a keg. I think we all enjoyed ourselves. I feel lucky to have friends and family to celebrate with me, no matter the occasion.

Comments

Popular Posts