Great Flood of '09

You have no idea what 70+ mile per hour winds are like until you experience it at the Springfield Hilton. The building was creaking and groaning constantly and it was loud. I was seriously scared that the building would go down. I was trying to go to sleep thinking, will they tell us if we need to evacuate the building? Of course they won’t. They don’t want to freak people out, so we’d probably find out as it was going down. Needless to say, I slept with my clothes on last night…just in case. Then I woke up this morning to quiet…except the sound of water dripping. I looked in my washer/dryer closet and didn’t see any water. I opened my bedroom door and stepped right into soggy carpet. I emptied garbage cans and placed them below with towels on the floor to soak up the soggy. Then I did my pilates and took a shower. When I started getting ready, I heard dripping in the bathroom. Water was running from the ceiling and through the light fixture onto all of my things. I found one more garbage can and put it up on the counter. When I realized it was only catching about half of the water, I removed all of my bathroom items. Stepping out of the bathroom right before I left for work I realized that the garbage cans in the hall must not be doing the job 100% either because the sogginess had spread down the hall to the bathroom. I double checked my washer/dryer closet one more time and found a great deal of sogginess in there even though I still didn’t see a drip. I looked up and could see where the seams were on the ceiling like water was starting to soak through. I moved everything out of my closet to the bed. I hope all of my stuff isn’t ruined by the end of the day. I think they were shutting off water when I left. I heard some action and when I stopped at the front desk to let them know my room was flooding they already were aware of the situation. The guy seriously asked me if I got all my stuff out. Yeah, like while I was getting ready for work and trying to find receptacles to catch all the water, I moved out of the apartment. I’m feeling crabby. Grrrronimo.

Comments

Popular Posts