Tradition Part III

Krumkake are sweet treats that hold a special place in my heart because my grandma used to make them. I never knew how much work went into making these special scrolls. I only knew that each Christmas I could expect to find wax paper lined shoe boxes full of them in my grandma's pantry.

How she had the patience for all the futz involved with them, I'll never know. I never even gave it a thought until I inherited her iron. Now I'm drawn to make them. I feel a connection to her and our heritage when I drop the first bit of batter onto the hot cast iron griddle.

She'd probably think I'm crazy to go to all of that work to produce this pile of scrolls with nobody to share them with. She was pretty no nonsense. But I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do today than reminisce about my grandma and I hope her spirit is smiling!

Comments

Popular Posts