Rhubarb Sweet & Sour Chicken

If my life wasn't food-centric before, it sure is now. I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of time for cooking. I've been dreaming of some delightful baked goods, but in the meantime, I have to feed myself every day.

I've had my eye on a rhubarb sweet and sour chicken recipe for quite some time. I actually even got a bag of frozen rhubarb, but it has been chilling in the freezer until tonight. I had chicken in the fridge to use and I've been trying to use my pantry to the best of my ability. So rhubarb sweet & sour chicken it was!


1 tsp sesame seed oil
1C diced chicken tenderloin
salt and pepper to taste
1C diced frozen rhubarb
8oz can pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1/2C red pepper, diced
1/2C green pepper, diced

1. Heat sesame seed oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken until golden brown.

2. Meanwhile in a sauce pan, combine rhubarb, pineapple juice, honey, and ginger. Heat to boiling and cook, stirring  occasionally until rhubarb breaks down and thickens.

3. When chicken is done, remove from pan. Add more sesame oil and saute peppers--I usually salt them.

4. When sauce has thickened, add pineapple chunks.

5. Add chicken back in with peppers, top with rhubarb sauce, and heat through.

6. I served over a bed of cauliflower rice.

I really liked the sour of the rhubarb as compared to the vinegar sour I got with an alternate sweet and sour chicken recipe. And I'm delighted to be able to incorporate rhubarb into the entree course. Enjoy with a friend as this is sized better for two. Or leftovers in my case.

Comments

Popular Posts