Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

On the menu tonight is Spaghetti Squash Carbonara. I've been using a recipe that I have to alter and I have officially made this too many times to keep doing the math each time. I am also a stickler for having the ingredients in the order used and clear, concise directions. It's the way my OCD rolls.

So here is my new recipe to make my life more convenient. Even more conveniently, I roasted the spaghetti squash for another recipe two days ago and have the squash all ready to go in the fridge. I still haven't achieved the perfect sauce, but I think I'm closer with the reorganization of the order of adding ingredients. Please if you have the magic secret to making the carbonara sauce perfect, let me know! I know what you're supposed to do, but it still hasn't come out just right. Luckily it's really tasty anyhow. So give it a try.


2 slices bacon
1 tsp minced garlic
6 Tbsp chicken broth
1/2C frozen peas
2 eggs
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 medium spaghetti squash, cooked and scraped out of the shell
salt and pepper to taste
dried parsley

1. In a skillet, fry bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain.

2. Add garlic to bacon fat remaining in pan and cook for about a minute.

3. Add chicken broth and simmer for about 5 minutes until reduced by half.

4. Meanwhile, steam frozen peas in the microwave for 1 minute, drain, and set aside.

5. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and set aside.

6. Dice cooked bacon, set aside.

7. Once broth is reduced, add lemon juice and red pepper flakes to pan.

8. Remove pan from heat and slowly whisk in eggs.

9. Stir in spaghetti squash, peas, and bacon.

10. Return pan to low heat to heat through. Salt and pepper to taste.

11. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

This is usually good for one to two servings. It really depends on how big your squash is. I do love this as leftovers as well.

Comments

Popular Posts