Swedish Meatballs

I was excited to find a recipe for gluten-free Swedish meatballs recently, but was less than excited with the results. I knew it was worth revisiting, so today I started by dividing the recipe by four to get a reasonably sized recipe for one.

I looked up about six other recipes to look for patterns and find the wiggle room. Then I made adjustments for ingredients I didn't care for. (Hello, why are there onions in everything?) Then additions for ingredients that should be included. (Hello, garlic should be in everything.) Plus and minus here and there and voila... I end up with a delightful gluten-free meatball recipe that I really like. And that's what it's all about folks.

12-14 meatballs

1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 Tbsp almond flour
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of allspice
1/2 lb ground sirloin beef
1 egg

1/2 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp minced garlic
1C beef broth (gluten free)
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4C coconut milk
1 Tbsp arrowroot
salt & pepper to taste

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and allspice.

2. Add sirloin and egg to bowl and mix to combine.

3. Using a medium scoop, form balls from the meat mixture.

4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs.

5. Turn meatballs frequently to brown all sides. Then remove from pan.

6. Add garlic to skillet and cook for about a minute, then add beef broth and parsley.

7. Add meatballs back to pan, reduce heat to simmer, and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes to cook through.

8. Whisk together coconut milk and arrowroot, then slowly add it to the beef broth in the skillet, stirring until combined. Heat through. Salt and pepper to taste.

I served my meatballs with a pile of mashed potatoes because I've had a serious mashed potato craving lately. If dinner wasn't so late tonight, I would have been more inclined to add vegetables to my plate as well. Take my advice... you should eat vegetables. I promise to eat more tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts