Sew No More

Well, in all honesty, I found this sewing cabinet without a sewing machine to begin with.

I had just dropped off a carload full of furniture at Thrifty Pickin's and had gotten loaded up with a few cast offs from their storage. The car was pretty full, but I couldn't resist the temptation to stop by the thrift store as I passed.

And I saw this sewing table beauty. I had been on the lookout for one, but they usually were out of my price range with sewing machine still in tact (what would I do with that once it was removed?!)

This one was priced for repurposing with no machine left for sewing.


So I squeezed it into the back of my car and began dreaming of its transformation. I posed the question on Facebook "Should it be black or brightly colored?" And I received great, but mixed feedback.

Someone wanted me to leave it wood. But honestly, this cabinet isn't all real wood. I knew it would look snazzier dressed in black paint. But I wanted this to be an outdoor drink station, so I felt it should be brightly colored for your patio. I added that pop on the inside and I love it!




I finished the painting, waxing, and poly
and then the cabinet sat there. I wanted to put a sink in it to act as an ice bucket to chill beverage with the added benefit of draining the melted ice. This would be an act of patience.

I kept looking, watching, and waiting for my sink to arrive. I contemplated other receptacles, but wanted my damn sink! Then one day at the Restore she looked down on me from the uppermost shelf and I knew she was the one. I broke out my tape measure to confirm she would be coming home with me that day.

With the reality of faucet holes staring me in the face, I found 1/2" sized corks and drilled a hole for picture holder wires. That way you could put drink recipes, a party welcome sign, or photos right at the drink station. And because the corks are removable, you can just stash them in the sink when you close the lid!

The last piece of the puzzle was a wall mounted bottle opener. I looked at the hardware stores, but always came out empty handed. That was until I needed an obscure part (remember the drawer stops?) and had to scour every inch of the big box hardware store. It was that day I happened upon the beverage opener. I couldn't believe my eyes. There it was... The piĆØce de rĆ©sistance!

So, after all this time, I'm finally taking this piece off to Thrifty Pickin's to find her forever home!

Comments

Popular Posts