Lights, Camera, Action

Before leaving the house this morning there was a strike of lightening so close that the flash and crash were practically simultaneous. So much so, in fact, that I jumped out of my skin and crossed my fingers that my house wasn't burning down. Once on the road, the downpour began. I couldn't quite make out the vehicles ahead of me on the road. All the while, downtown was experiencing more of the same. By the time I got to work, the rain had slowed, but in the radio building, the lights were dim. The back up generator was keeping the radio stations on the air and little lights glowing in the stairwells, but that was about it. My co-workers gathered around the light sources (the windows) as the realization set in that we can't do anything without computers anymore. And how do you make coffee? Early morning + darkness + no coffee = a prime nap time. Luckily a coworker was willing to head back out to pick up some coffee. While she was gone, we heard rumors of the power outage lasting four hours. As I sat sipping my scalding cappuccino, the lights came on. Like a song from above, everything in the office buzzed into life. Oh happy day! Although I was not prepared to sit around twiddling my thumbs for four hours, I'm still not ready to work.

Comments

Popular Posts