Spring Has Sprung!

I've been busy in my workshop encouraging Spring's arrival with a splash of color here and there. Actually, as I packed my car last night full of items to haul to Thrifty Pickin's, I noticed everything was the same color.
I tend to do that when I mix up chalk paint because with the plaster of paris in the paint, it will harden and won't keep very long. On a bright note, everything is.... well... bright!
I did sneak in a lime green chair with a little teal flower detail. These two beauties intended for the garden have already been delivered and snatched up. Hopefully I'll find more chairs to gardenize as the weather continues to blossom.
This cute little magazine rack just had to be teal. If you've got a retro piece like this I just feel like that is the way to go! She's heading down to Thrifty Pickin's next week after the store gets moved over to the main drag!

But the biggest recent accomplishment in the workshop was completing my retro ironing board. You can tell by the before picture that I purchased it long, long ago when the grass was greener. 

I thoroughly enjoy the label, so I had to preserve it... with a photograph. It didn't survive the repurposing treatment. I stripped it off along with the white paint. I spray painted the legs black gloss to revitalize them. Then I got to work staining the top. I had this idea that it should be stained wood.  

Well, one thing led to another and I was not happy with it. The ironing board was folded up and stuffed into the back of the garage until the snow started to fly. Then it was hauled down to the basement to wait for spring when I could strip it and start over. Ugh!

Well, upon reflection (and a suggestion),
I decided that painting furniture was my thing. Who knew?! I happened to have this funky fun teal color on hand and an ironing board waiting for a transformation. And the rest, my friends, is history. All it took was a little sanding to bring out that beautiful stained wood color beneath the paint, a couple coats of poly and she's done. Just like that.
Some day I will regret selling this one. Some day when I have a home with a beautiful patio and I have a few guests over for a casual gathering and I'm wishing I had a place to set the bottle of wine as I open it. And what's that? Glasses hanging at the ready for a long pour and a towel to mop up those inevitable spills. Not that they'll damage the surface with that protective poly... okay.. I need to stop dreaming!

Comments

Popular Posts