Last Night In Lexington

ROCKBRIDGE VINEYARD & BREWERY NEAR LEXINGTON, VA

Over a month ago now, I woke up to my last full day in Lexington, VA on August 8th. My host prepared a delicious omelet to start the day with a healthy dose of hazelnut coffee on the side. We enjoyed a leisurely start to the day with everyone at home that morning.

I noticed a giant bush of rosemary alongside the house, so when my host recommended he grill chicken with a firehouse marinade for dinner, I offered to make my now famous rosemary potato salad. My hostess agreed to prepare collard greens, a treat I had not enjoyed since my previous trip to Lexington, VA several years ago.

After grocery shopping for my host and a little blog writing for me, it was time for adventure. My host and I headed out on the open road towards the nearby Rockbride Vineyard & Brewery. This farm had been transformed into a delightful brewery and winery in an old giant barn. There was seating spaced out around the lawn and on the deck and the barn door was open for a band who would be performing that afternoon. Apparently the brewery side was only opened about a year ago, but my host found an IPA that he liked and I headed to the winery side for a flight of reds. 

We made friends with a couple of ladies and a dog sitting near us on the deck, so when we finished our first round, they offered to watch our table so we could both go back in to make another selection. I have loved learning how to make quick friends on the road! We settled on DeChiel Viognier, a light and refreshing (not too sweet) white wine selection. We continued our afternoon out on the deck as a giant yellow butterfly flittered overhead and the music wafted out of the barn and up towards where we were perched. It was a beautiful way to say goodbye to Virginia and the last glass of wine was good enough to buy a bottle to go along with dinner.

We gathered back at the house where my host prepared to grill the delicious firehouse marinade chicken, my hostess began to tend her pot of collard greens on the stove, and I relaxed having had prepared my potato salad earlier in the day to give the ingredients time to meld. As dinner time approached, we each got a small cup of the broth from the collards pot to wet our appetites. Apparently this delicious delicacy is called pot licker and it is supposed to cure what ails you. I love that our final meal together was a compilation of all of us.

LEXINGTON, VA GRILLED CHICKEN DINNER WITH POTATO SALAD AND COLLARD GREENS

We concluded our time together with movie night and I headed up to bed early to prepare my bags for travel. I was worn out from the day and honestly the end of my trip had begun to weigh heavier on me. I skipped journaling and blogging and tucked myself into the guest room one last time. By the following morning I would be circling back on the path towards home.

LEARN MORE ABOUT MY TRIP & DONATE

Comments

Popular Posts