Spidey-Senses

SURFSIDE BEACH, SC IN FRONT OF HOLIDAY INN OCEANFRONT HOTEL
(When I shared the above photo on Instagram, my sister let me know she was wearing the same shirt that day. We have a long history of sharing spidey-senses.)

My last morning in Surfside Beach with my travel companion began just as the rest... she was already up for the day when my first alarm went off and I started my meditation. My second meditation is an exercise in visualization for your day. As I finished that up I had this thought that I had no impulse about what to do for breakfast on this day. Moments later, my companion returned and let me know we had been gifted breakfast at the hotel. 

We readied for the day and headed down to the beautiful, ocean-front restaurant. Upon seating, I picked out a tasty breakfast bowl including roasted potatoes, eggs, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, and cheese along with coffee and orange juice. The breakfast of champions! (Or at least those who plan to spend the rest of the day playing in the ocean.)
HOLIDAY INN OCEANFRONT AT SURFSIDE BEACH, SC

We took a stroll down to the beach to check out the water temperature because it was overcast. Rain was in the forecast for the day, but the water was warm, so I said "Let's just do it!" We secured chair rentals under an umbrella from the lifeguard on duty and returned to our room to get ready for the beach. 
SURFSIDE BEACH, SC IN FRONT OF HOLIDAY INN OCEANFRONT HOTEL

I hit the sand before my companion, so I began my relaxation with a little journal writing. After she joined me, she started her relaxation with a little energy work. Once we both had wrapped up, we headed out into the surf, pushing through the crashing waves to get to that sweet spot where you can be carried by the swell of the sea.

My companion spent as much time floating on her back as possible in between me jabbering at her and waves crashing over her head. I preferred to float upright with a keen eye on each wave coming in. I practiced reiki on the water and let myself be carried away by the relaxation. We took a break for more soul talk on the sand when I was too tired to fight the waves, but we returned one more time to soak up as much saltwater as possible before my companion's flight that evening. I had the opportunity of living out a movie scene when a large wave crashed over me and I went under. All I heard was the muffled sound of the crashing waves and all the bubbles around me. I'm so glad I saw that one coming and plugged my nose first. It wasn't too long after, I was once again too tired to stay in the water.

With a touch of sadness, we pulled ourselves out of the water and sat for a spell to dry off. My companion took a head start back to the room to shower and pack for her departure, but it wasn't long after she left that I noticed a giant red spider struggling in an indentation in the sand where my companion's beverage had once been. 
SURFSIDE BEACH, SC RED SPIDER SPIRITUAL SIGN

He stopped struggling shortly after I spotted him, so I'm not sure if he dropped from the umbrella overhead or fell into the pit. According to uniguide.com, "The red spider symbolizes your own spidey-sense. It's a sign to pay attention and take action. This can mean protecting yourself, someone you care about, or even your possessions. And it can also mean sensing an opportunity and acting on it. The red spider can bring blessings, but you have to act on them." Although, I didn't look up this meaning until later, my spidey-senses told me to let him be and go our separate ways. I returned to the room and planted myself on the balcony to continue my relaxing afternoon.
GAY DOLPHIN GIFT SHOP MYRTLE BEACH, SC

Our last adventure was to brave downtown Myrtle Beach to visit the Gay Dolphin Gift Shop and grab a quick bite at one of the fair-type food stands along the strip. I think we both felt the frenzy of downtown in sharp contrast to the peaceful day we had just spent on the beach. I jetted my companion off to the airport for her flight home, stopped for a quick saltwater taffy purchase, and returned to my hotel room.
GRETEL'S CANDY HOUSE SURFSIDE BEACH, SC

I planned on hitting up a local karaoke joint on Wednesday night, but the day had worn me out and I felt the emptiness of my room without my companion along for the ride. I opted to spend a quiet night in repacking my suitcase and finishing up a bottle of wine. I even ordered in a mushroom and Swiss burger, one of my companion's favorites. 

After all the revelations my companion helped me come to during her visit, more than half my trip was in the rearview mirror and I was beginning to wonder what it has all been about. I was open to the possibilities of what this trip would become along the way, but have I lived it to the fullest? Have I learned new things about myself and grown? It seems I am getting more accustomed to following the guidance of my spidey-senses to do what is right for me in the moment, so at least there is that.

Comments

Popular Posts