Making Your Way

HOT AIR BALLOON


I woke up with a song in my head. In the real world this seems perfectly normal, right? Surely you heard it in the car, while shopping for groceries, or at your favorite restaurant yesterday. Not me. I generally don't listen to music in the car or at home. And as a matter of fact, during the pandemic when I wasn't going out anywhere I still would occasionally wake up with a song in my head. I always look up the lyrics because I know there is a message in there for me. 

Yesterday I was hanging with River full time, but Friday's car ride I was listening to YouTube. I love YouTube. It's like this magical machine that pops out messages just for you from the universe. I find when it's auto populating what I should listen to next, it is always super spot on! 

The big one that came up for me while traveling across Wisconsin on Friday was an interview with Michael Singer, author of The Untethered Soul, Living from a Place of Surrender, and The Surrender Experiment. This interview by Tami Simon on Insights at the Edge produced by Sounds True was timely because I had just been talking about The Untethered Soul with a friend days before I hit the road.

In the interview, they spoke about surrendering to the moment and experiencing your life from the seat of the witness. I have to tell you, when I read The Untethered Soul years ago, I found it dense and it took a lot of focus to get through it. But after reading it, I wanted other people in my circle to read it so we could discuss it. I feel like talking through material as deep as this helps the ideas form better in your understanding of them.

I was happy to easily follow along on this interview as he breaks down some of those everyday events where you have the opportunity to surrender in the moment. Even the big question "How do you let go?" He calls incidents like traffic or weather "low hanging fruit," perfect for practicing the art of surrender. There is zero benefit to holding onto anger about something that you have absolutely no control over. The weather may not be the way you prefer and other people are bound to do things you don't agree with, but there is no benefit to holding yourself in a lower vibration because of it.

Singer recommends meditation and other techniques to create a center within yourself that is strong enough to surrender when faced with those everyday triggers or tough times in your life. I know that personally I have found myself to be in a much more centered place since I incorporated meditation into my daily routine. There is a beautiful analogy to the soul in this interview. When you want a hot air balloon to rise, all you need to do is let go of the ropes. Pay attention to what lifts you up and what brings you down. When you're feeling the downward pull, practice letting go of those ropes.

Perhaps I need to get The Untethered Soul on Audible so I can revist this material along my journey. In the meantime, I've got this song playing in my head and it seems just about right for me on this stage of my journey. 

Making your way in the world today

Takes everything you've got
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away?
All those nights when you've got no lights
The check is in the mail
And your little angel
Hung the cat up by it's tail
And your third fiance didn't show
Sometimes you wanna go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You wanna be where you can see (ah-ah)
Our troubles are all the same (ah-ah)
You wanna be where everybody knows your name

Comments

Popular Posts