Tourist in Tampa

 

PALM TREE IN TAMPA, FL

My drive to Tampa was far less eventful than the drive into Savannah. The 336 miles clocked in at just about six and a half hours including my stops. Crashes on I95 had me diverted to 301 and I was traveling through towns, not flying by on the interstate. I did run into some rain, but the biggest delay came when I stumbled upon Waldo’s Antique Village in Waldo, FL.

WALDO'S ANTIQUE VILLAGE WALDO, FL


The place was so large with signs for a flea market they hosted on Saturday and Sundays. Upon entering the establishment, I noticed that there was a lot of wide open space. The antiques were fairly spread out throughout the building, but I managed to kill a little time and pick up a lovely milk glass ash tray I’ll use as a vanity tray.

My Tampa host was otherwise preoccupied until 5pm, so I rolled into town afterwards. Shortly after arrival, we were heading out to pick up pizza and after dinner I was quickly initiated in their family routine of evening pool time. I could definitely get used to that! After the twinsies were in bed we enjoyed a few adult beverages and conversation on the patio.

I slept in on my first full day in Tampa and got ready just in time to witness the finding and packing of all the accessories that 3-year-old twins need for a lunch excursion. Once everything was loaded into the car, we headed to U-lĆ«-lē, a restaurant in downtown Tampa on the Riverwalk.

U-LE-LE RESTAURANT FLORIDA MOJITO TAMPA, FL

U-LE-LE RESTAURANT ON THE RIVERWALK TAMPA, FL

U-LE-LE FIRE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH SPINACH AND RISOTTO TAMPA, FL

U-LE-LE STATUE ON THE RIVERWALK TAMPA, FL

We had to wait a long time to be seated, but I enjoyed a Florida Mojito, a combination of orange and mint that wasn’t too sweet, while I waited. My fire-roasted chicken with spinach and risotto was amazing, but after my first bite of the steaming hot dish, I wished I had ordered a salad. The heat index was over 100 and my head was throbbing. Have I mentioned how poorly I’m doing at staying hydrated on travel days? The kiddos didn’t eat very much of their meals, but enjoyed homemade ice cream after lunch before a stroller down the Riverwalk.

RIVERWALK DOWNTOWN TAMPA, FL

By the time we returned to the house, I laid down to try to get my head to stop throbbing. Lucky for me, the family quickly decided to hit up the pool and I joined in. The 89° water felt cool compared to the heat of the day and the heat of my body. After a short dip we were ready for dinner.

I prepare Cuban sandwiches on the Pampered Chef Deluxe Electric Grill & Griddle and they were a big hit! We even got mojo pork from the local grocery store, something you wouldn’t find up North. My host suggested we use the bread for breakfast sandwiches too and I’m blown away I hadn’t thought of this yet! (They were delicious by the way. Eggs, ham, bacon, and cheese, oh my!)

I followed my tradition of Saturday movie night while the kids were drifting off to sleep, starting with What Dreams May Come. My host joined me midway through and suggested the next film: Rudderless. Apparently a death theme was on the agenda, but both great movies. I said goodnight around midnight, knowing the family would be getting up early on Sunday.

LEARN MORE ABOUT MY TRIP & DONATE

Comments

Popular Posts